The Society of Architectural Historians is inviting applicants from all over the world to apply for its H. Allen Brooks Travelling Fellowship program. The award is available for students with a Ph.D. or an advanced terminal degree in a field related to the built environment to study by travel for one year.
The program seeks students to give an opportunity to acquire useful knowledge for their future work, contribution to their profession, and contribution to society. The fellowship is intended to be a special honor for the recipient and is to be awarded to a truly outstanding candidate, based on distinguished academic achievement, leadership potential.
Society of Architectural Historians is a nonprofit membership organization that serves a network of local, national, and international institutions and individuals. It promotes the study, interpretation, and conservation of architecture, design, landscapes, and urbanism worldwide for the benefit of all.
Who May Be Eligible?
To be eligible, all aspirants must meet all the following criteria:
- Applicants must have a membership in SAH. (Join SAH here.)
- Students must have a Ph.D. or an advanced terminal degree in a field related to the built environment. Eligible degree dates are between January 1, 2015, and July 31, 2020.
- This is an international fellowship, so participants from any country may apply.
- Current students are not eligible for this program.
How to Apply
To apply for the fellowship, eligible candidates are asked to review the eligibility criteria and then submit their complete application along with the desired documents electronically through an online application form. The Recommenders are asked to submit an online recommendation form.
- A statement (in English, 1000 words max) that details:
- The applicant’s academic and career goals
- What the applicant hopes to achieve intellectually during the fellowship period
- How this fellowship will advance the applicant’s academic interests and will make a difference in their professional work
- A proposed travel itinerary outlining travel sites and buildings or landscapes at those sites. Submitting a Google map outlining the sites is recommended.
- A proposed budget for the fellowship year
- A two-page writing sample
- Proof of terminal degree and date (photocopy of the diploma), see above criteria
- Curriculum vitae (5 pages maximum)
- Five representative photographs were taken by the applicant (low resolution)
- Two recommendations (must be submitted using the online recommendation form)
The H. Allen Brooks Travelling Fellowship will be granted to deserving fellows, which will cover expenses incurred by the Brooks Fellow for one year of travel. This award is non-renewable; award amounts may vary from year to year. The funds will be paid in quarterly installments.
The application period closes on September 30, 2020, at 11:59 p.m. CST.