Are you an up-and-coming scientist with inventive ideas and a strong focus on sustainable development? Does your research have the potential to change the world?
The German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) hosts the prestigious “Green Talents – International Forum for High Potentials in Sustainable Development” to promote the international exchange of innovative green ideas.
The BMBF challenge you to convince our high-ranking expert jury and become one of the 25 Green Talents of 2018! They offer you the unique opportunity to become part of an exceptional worldwide network of outstanding young minds and leading German institutions.
Who May Eligible:
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Enrolment in a master’s or Ph.D. programme or a degree (master’s/ Ph.D.) completed no more than three years before the end of the application process
- Strong focus on sustainable development and an interdisciplinary approach
- Proven excellent command of English
- Significantly above-average grades
- Not a German citizen nor a resident of Germany
- The award is open to all disciplines as long as they are related to sustainable development.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an application online form through the given link: https://secure.pt-dlr.de/ptoutline/app/greentalents2018
The application consists of the following four parts:
- Forms with personal information and questions about your academic and professional career, including details about university degrees, research work, lists of publications, etc. You will not have to upload a CV.
- Questions regarding your motivation to participate in the Science Forum (They recommend that you write your answers in advance and simply copy them into the text fields):
- Briefly, explain your actual research by showing how it relates to sustainable development and demonstrate your interdisciplinary interest.
- What new perspective are you providing to sustainability research? What is your professional goal?
- How is your research/work related to sustainability science in Germany? Also, indicate which of the institutions in this year’s Science Forum are most relevant to you and why.
- What do you expect to gain from the Green Talents Award for your future career?
- Questions regarding your scientific qualification. They kindly ask to upload your latest final graduation certificate as well as your latest course record. Full academic transcripts are required because they convey important information such as specifics about the composition of the study programme, credit requirements, and student performance. If you have only recently started a post-graduate study programme (Master or Ph.D.), upload your graduation certificate as well as a confirmation of matriculation.
- Questions regarding your publications and patents. They merely require a list of books/chapters/articles you (co-)authored. Therefore complete the Excel template you find during the application process and list your publications in chronological order, naming the titles, potential co-authors, the publisher and the context (book/chapter/article/conference paper etc.).
- Include articles/papers that have been submitted but have not yet been approved.
- Exclude articles/papers under preparation.
- Letter of recommendation: a letter in which the author assesses the qualities, characteristics, and capabilities of the person being recommended in terms of the individual’s ability to perform a particular task or function.
- should focus on your career as a scientist and activities up until now,
- must be in English,
- should not be older than 6 months,
- can be written by current or past supervisors from either academia or industry.
- If your assessor refuses to give you a letter of recommendation, upload a Word document with his/her name and complete your application. The assessor should then send us a letter via email to greentalents[@]dlr.de, stating your name and application ID number.
- It is mandatory to indicate the level of your English skills and to add an English language certificate to your application.
- Should focus on your career as a scientist and activities up until now
- Must be in English
- Should not be older than 6 months
- Can be written by current or past supervisors from either academia or industry
- Include articles/papers that have been submitted but have not yet been approved
- Exclude articles/papers under preparation
- When selected as a “Green Talent”, you will be invited to a two-week Science Forum in Germany (which takes place in October).
- Winners will have the opportunity to return to Germany for up to three months to conduct a research stay at an institute of your choice the year after the Science Forum.
- The BMBF will cover your travel expenses (to/from Germany and during the trip) as well as your meals and accommodation during the Science Forum. Costs for health insurance and visa fees cannot be covered and must be paid by the participants.
- They will cover return flights to Germany and also provide a monthly allowance when you return in 2019 for your research stay. This allowance is intended to support you during your stay and will be sufficient for accommodation, insurance, food and your daily needs. However, it is not intended to support your research.
The deadline for essay submissions is 23 May 2018, 2 p.m. CEST.