Google has set out in a mission to build camera and imaging products that work equitably for people of color, so that everyone feels seen, no matter their skin tone. It is, therefore, inviting interested candidates to particulate in Google’s first-ever Image Equity Fellowship for the academic year 2022-2023.
This fellowship offered by Google is a 6-month, application-based fellowship awarded to 20 early-career image-based creators of color in the US. Applicants identified as Black, Middle Eastern, Indigenous, Asian, and/or Latinx are eligible. Winners will be awarded $20,000 in unrestricted funds to create an image-based project that explores and uplifts community(ies) of color with care and nuance.
Google LLC is an American multinational technology company that focuses on artificial intelligence, search engine technology, online advertising, cloud computing, computer software, quantum computing, e-commerce, and consumer electronics. Individuals can search the world’s information, including webpages, images, videos and more. It has been referred to as the “most powerful company in the world” and one of the world’s most valuable brands due to its market dominance, data collection, and technological advantages in the area of artificial intelligence.
Table of Contents
|Number of Awards||20|
|Contest Deadline||17th July, 2022|
Who is Eligible?
- The applicants must self-identify as a person of colour (e.g. Black, Middle Eastern, Indigenous, Asian, and/or Latinx).
- The applicants must be at least 18 years old at the time of application submission.
- The applicants must have a valid United States address.
- The applicants must be able to submit a W9 form.
How to Apply?
- The applicants are required to have a profile including the following details:
- First name
- Last name
Residing in the United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, Puerto Rico
Biography with up to 1500 characters
CV with up to 2000 characters (or PDF file)
- The applicants must then upload the following documents:
- 1 project per submission
- 5 to 20 files per project
- Allowed file types: JPG
- At least 3000px on the long edge
- The applicants must make sure to provide the following descriptions:
- Project description
- Project title
- Project year
- Project location
- Project country
- Image title
- Image description
- Image location
- Image country
- Interested candidates must then sign up on Pitcher to apply for the fellowship.
The selected candidates will be awarded a $20,000 unrestricted award along with other benefits such as direct support and curated guidance from industry-celebrated mentors and monthly workshop programming designed to empower these artists as creatives and business people.
The applications of interested candidates made by 17th July 2022 will be taken into full consideration. The outcome will be announced on 1st August 2022 for the fellowship commencing on 1st September 2022.