Do you know about the worthy Frederick Douglass Bicentennial Scholarship Program? The Signore Family is inviting you to apply for this valuable scholarship managed by UNCF. UNCF has never failed to support the students in their education with the help of their tremendous scholarship programs. Candidates enrolled full-time as a rising senior at any accredited public or private four-year historically black college or university are eligible to apply. Applicants should demonstrate a commitment to community service and an unmet financial need as verified by their college or university.
In 2018, to honor and commemorate the bicentennial of the birth of Frederick Douglass, a scholarship program was established in support of students attending accredited historically black colleges and universities (HBCUs) nationwide. The program recognizes and celebrates one of the most transformative figures in the nation’s history, is administered and managed by UNCF for a period of 20 years, through 2039. The scholarship provides considerable funds to reduce the financial burden on the candidates ultimately.
UNCF has a proven record of helping an uncountable number of students with vast scholarship programs. The Frederick Douglass Bicentennial Scholarship Program was established by Tony Signore, whose knowledge, respect, and deep admiration for Douglass were instilled in him more than 35 years ago by the Jesuits at Fordham University. To honor one of the most influential African American figures in the country’s history, the Signore Family designed and funded the program to recognize this historical leader, providing scholarship support to outstanding young women and men attending HBCUs.
Here is the table for a quick glance of information related to scholarship:
|Educational Level||University or College students|
|Number of Awards||One|
|Nationality||Domestic and International|
|Application Deadline||October 28, 2020|
Table of Contents
Who May Be Eligible?
If you are interested in this opportunity, then get a glance of eligibility requirements set by the foundation:
- Applicants should be enrolled full-time as a rising senior at any accredited public or private four-year historically black college or university (HBCU).
- The fellow should Possess a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. Individuals should demonstrate a commitment to community service and an unmet financial need as verified by their college or university.
How to Apply
Only the eligible and interested students should apply for the program using the UNCF official portal. Candidates need to submit the credentials to log in, and if they are new to the portal, they can first register. Fellows are guided to fill all the required details and materials in the same form. The foundation will not accept any late or incomplete application. Applicants should ensure all the data they provided is legit to be considered for the scholarship.
- Applicants should submit two (2) letters of recommendation from faculty members on how the applicant reflects the values espoused by Frederick Douglass.
- Fellows should provide Responses to two (2) essay questions:
- In 500 words, please discuss your primary interests, career aspirations, what motivates you, and how you intend to impact society. Share significant leadership experiences, community involvement, and achievements to date.
- In 500-700 words, please discuss the impact Frederick Douglass had on society and how his legacy inspires you in today’s world.
(The first essay requires the applicant to assess self-awareness, leadership, and community involvement; the second essay requires the applicant to address the impact Frederick Douglass had on society in the 19th century, and its relevance today as our nation continues to fight for equality.)
- Candidates should provide a current transcript.
- Applicants should complete their FAFSA.
One candidate will be selected and awarded with $10000. This amount should be utilized to pay the educational expenses of the students like Tuition, fees, books or other verifies needs. This scholarship encourages the students to do better in their academics and motivates them to maintain an excellent academic record for a successful educational career. The scholarship encourages the students to work hard for their dreams.
Please submit your applications before October 28, 2020.