Filmmakers Without Borders (FWB) is now accepting applications for the Filmmaking Grants to empower the next generation of digital storytellers. FWB encourages both novice and experienced filmmakers from around the world to apply for grant funding.
FWB provides equal consideration for all qualified candidates. FWB does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, military service, or other protected status.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Applicants from any country are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants should be 18+ years old.
- Applicants should be proficient in relevant digital technologies.
- Applicants should be able to provide samples of their work.
- Applications and supporting materials must be produced in English.
- Note: Completed films may be in any language.
How to Apply & Competition Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an online application form through the given link: http://filmmakerswithoutborders.org/grants/apply/
- FWB encourages young, emerging filmmakers from around the world to submit their film projects.
- The submission process is designed to showcase each respective project’s alignment with FWB’s mission as well as to outline the filmmaker’s goals and motivations.
- All applicants complete an online application and submit a variety of supporting materials including a video essay.
- The video essay is an opportunity for applicants to introduce themselves, describe the project, and explain what it means to them.
- Proposed projects should address one of the following themes:
- social justice
- women’s voices
- youth voices
- cultural exchange
- climate change
- Proposed projects should be aligned with the following guidelines:
- demonstrated commitment to cultural diversity
- demonstrated commitment to cultural sustainability
- demonstrated commitment to empowerment
- adherence to the American Anthropological Association’s Code of Ethics
- Proposed projects should meet the following requirements:
- 100% of funds dedicated to the film project (not to salaries or large equipment purchases)
- scheduled for completion within 365 days of the application deadline
- subtitled in English
- Submit an updated CV/resume
- Submit a link to work samples, previous projects, or a portfolio
- Submit a 5-10 page treatment/outline of your proposed project
- Submit a reference letter from a mentor, community leader, employer, or teacher in support of your specific film project.
- Submit a 3-5 minute video essay outlining your background and proposed a project. This video is intended to be creative and to showcase your personality and technical skills. It may be filmed on a DSLR, pocket camera, or other comparable camera but should include an edited combination of all of the following:
- the applicant speaking directly to camera
- voice-over narration
- b-roll footage
- text elements
- Submit three short-answer essays responding to the following questions:
- How does your film project demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity? (1-2 pages)
- Why does this specific story need to be told and why are you the best person to tell it? (1-2 pages)
- How does your film project address your chosen theme? Include a minimum of x5 examples. (2+ pages)
- Submit an estimated budget for each of the following (x 2 totals):
- An estimated budget for the highest amount of funding available for your project’s stage (e.g. production: $5,000). This budget should clearly itemize all anticipated costs.
- An estimated budget for the lowest amount of funding available for your project’s stage (e.g. production: $500). This budget should clearly itemize all anticipated costs.
Grants are available in the following amounts (Tier 1 – Tier 4):
- Development: $250, $500, $750, or $1000
- Production: $500, $1000, $2500, or $5000
- Post-production: $250, $500, $1000, or $2500
- Film Festival Applications: $100, $250, $500, or $750
The application will close on January 1, 2021.