Earth Institute Columbia University is now seeking applications for the Postdoctoral Fellowship Research Program. The fellowship is available to the candidates must have received their doctoral degrees (Ph.D., M.D. or J.D.) within five years prior to the start of the appointment.
The Earth Institute Postdoctoral Research program is the premier program in the world for those dedicated to a better understanding of critical scientific and social issues in global sustainable development.
The program provides innovative postdoctoral scholars with the opportunity to build a foundation in one of the core disciplines represented within the Earth Institute (i.e. social, earth, biological, engineering, and health sciences), while at the same time acquiring the breadth of cross-disciplinary expertise needed to address critical issues related to sustainable development.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Candidates must have received their doctoral degrees (Ph.D., M.D. or J.D.) within five years prior to the start of the appointment.
- All doctoral requirements must be fulfilled and the degree awarded before the start of the appointment.
- The program is open to U.S. and non-U.S. citizens.
- Columbia University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer.
- Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To apply, candidates must complete the online application and submit a proposal for research that would contribute to the goal of global sustainable development. The link is: https://applyeiprograms.smapply.io/prog/ei_postdoctoral_research_program/
- People holding current positions with rank above post-doctoral scientist are not eligible for appointment under university rules.
- Those holding current post-doc positions should contact their office to determine
- Brief Personal History Format: Two (2) page maximum, double-spaced; one-inch margins, minimum 11 points standard font. The personal statement should include the following elements based on their relevance to your situation.
- Brief personal introduction and research statement
- Summary of any discussions you have had with potential mentors. Note: an endorsement from a faculty member or researcher does not guarantee acceptance into the program.
- Explanation of gaps in employment or studies (these will be considered on a case-by-case basis).
- Prior postdoctoral positions – Columbia University policy only allows a cumulative maximum of 3 years in a postdoctoral position, whether held at or outside of the university.
- If you have prior postdoc experience, contact Samantha Ostrowski to discuss your application.
- Recommendation Letters
- Three (3) recommendation letters are required by November 9, 2018, at 5 p.m. EST.
- Once an application is successfully submitted, the references listed will receive an email with the Applicant ID and the link to upload their letter.
- Note: They strongly recommend informing your references of the request for a letter in advance of submitting your application.
- They also recommend following up with your references after you have applied to ensure that they have received the information to upload their letter.
- Research Proposal Format
- Five (5) page maximum; double-spaced; one-inch margins; minimum 11 point standard font.
- Bibliographic references are required but not counted toward the 5-page maximum. They should be included in the same document.
- The research proposal should address how the proposed work will contribute to the goal of global sustainable development.
- Proposals may suggest participating in, contributing to, or extending existing multidisciplinary Earth Institute projects.
- Candidates are also encouraged to develop new, innovative projects that connect Earth Institute expertise.
- EI Postdocs will receive an annual salary of $65,560.
- They are also awarded a research stipend of $12,000 over the two-year term for reimbursable expenses related to the appointment.
The application Deadline is October 31, 2018, by 5 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.
For further questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.