The NCAA is one of the leading associations keen towards helping deserving student-athletes. The NCAA is pleasingly offering the new Division II Degree Completion Award Program to the deserving student-athletes for assisting them in completing their first baccalaureate degree. Candidates for this program will be the students who have exhausted their athletic eligibility at an active NCAA Division II institution. Applicants must be meeting the institution standard for good academic standing.
This program is designed to provide deserving student-athletes financial assistance for them to complete their first baccalaureate degree. Candidates will be students who have exhausted their athletics eligibility. To date, nearly $6 million has been given to approximately 1,400 deserving student-athletes. Of those student-athletes who have received the award since its inception, 90 percent have earned their undergraduate degree using this program. It motivates the students to do better in their academic and athletic careers.
NCAA school award nearly $3.5 billion in athletic scholarships every year to more than 180,000 student-athletes, and many of those scholarships are guaranteed regardless of athletic performance or injury. Many NCAA Division I schools offer cost of attendance so student-athletes can receive funds to help with additional college costs not covered by a scholarship. The NCAA Finances a Student Assistance Fund of more than $87 million to help Division I Athletes with essential needs, from flying home for a family emergency to buying a winter coat. Student-Athletes lead in every division through advisory committees and the campus, conference, and national levels.
Get a glance at information related to this program in the table below:
|Educational Level||University or college athlete students|
|Number of Awards||Multiple|
|Nationality||Domestic and International|
|Application Deadline||February 1, 2021|
|Requirement||Application, Letter of Recommendation, Transcript|
Who May Be Eligible?
Here are the requirements you need to follow to be eligible for this program:
- The applicant shall be a student-athlete who has completed athletics eligibility at an active NCAA Division II institution.
- Fellows must be within 36 semester hours (54 quarter hours) of completion of an undergraduate degree. The degree must be completed within 10-semesters (15 quarters).
- Fellows must be meeting the institution’s standard for good academic standing.
- The applicant cannot concurrently receive any athletics aid from the institution.
How to Apply
Nomination can be initiated by the FAR Athletics Director, SWA, or another designee. Later the nominee needs to provide the other required details. Fellows should give attention to collecting and delivering other necessary materials mandatory for this program. The association will entertain no late or incomplete applications. Applicants should maintain the originality of the materials provided.
- The nominee must include a personal statement containing specific information requested by the selection committee (e.g., a list of extracurricular activities, leadership roles, membership in professional organizations).
- Academic information from an advisor or department chair responsible for the applicant’s educational program should be provided.
- Financial aid information from the office of financial assistance, Endorsement(s) from the director of athletics, senior woman administrator, faculty athletics representative or coach at the Division II institution is mandatory.
- An official transcript from the institution where the student-athlete exhausted his or her athletics eligibility must be included. Applications must also include transcripts from all institutions the student-athlete previously attended. Transcripts can be scanned and uploaded to the system as a .pdf document.
The Division II Degree Completion Award value is the lesser of:
- Tuition for his or her remaining credits toward completing an undergraduate degree; or
- Applicant must use the award to complete the first undergraduate degree requirements from the institution where the student-athlete exhausted his or her athletics eligibility.
All the procedures for the nomination, application, and submission should be made before February 1, 2021.