Samsung x Dezeen Ambient Mode Design Competition 2018 is a collaboration between Samsung (Cheil Germany GmbH) and Dezeen Limited. The Competition invites applicants to create a new Ambient Mode experience for the QLED TVs using either static or animated images.
Samsung is looking for concepts to highlight how this new feature can echo the environment and blend into the aesthetic of people’s homes. The Competition entrants are invited to design a totally new static or animated design for Samsung’s Ambient Mode, an innovative new feature of its QLED TVs.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- It is free to enter the competition.
- Entries from designers or teams will be accepted.
- All entrants must be over 18, professional designers or design students and able to present their work to a panel of English-speaking judges.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an application online form through the given link: https://www.dezeen.com/samsung-ambient-mode-design-competition/
- Only one (1) entry per person.
- Each designer participating in the Design Challenge has to be of full legal capacity in their respective jurisdiction, at least 18 years of age.
- The design challenge is exclusively addressed to traders within the meaning of article 2 (2) directive 2011/83/eu.
- The designer declares and guarantees to participate in the design challenge and enter into this Agreement for purposes relating to his trade, business, craft or profession.
- Dezeen and Cheil do not accept liability for any Entries or parts thereof which are not (completely and/or partially) received or lost regardless of the cause.
- If submitting a Design created by more than one individual, it is a condition of entry that each individual agrees to be bound by the terms of this Agreement.
- To make an Ambient Mode design, entrants should follow these steps:
- Step 1: Choose an environment in which your Ambient Mode content will be activated.
- Step 2: Choose one of four background images of a block color or texture provided by Samsung for your Ambient Mode design.
- Step 3: Choose a design category – either decor, information, a personal photo or your personalized format – and produce an Ambient Mode concept overlaid on the background image. The final work should be submitted as a video file. You do not have to loop the content.
- Step 4: Attach a description of the idea and the activation information of the final work.
- In addition, designs should take into account:
- Lighting: The designs should adapt to various lighting conditions. If the lighting on the wallpaper changes over the course of the day, adjust the color temperature of the ambient content accordingly. The designs should fit within a color temperature of 3000K to 6500K.
- H/W function: Samsung’s QLED TVs contain both illumination and motion sensors, so you can design your Ambient Mode contents to change when the ambient lighting changes or the user approaches.
- Name of your design, which will appear on all communication and media coverage
- Description of your design, including the concept and any relevant features (maximum 300 words)
- Explanation of how you plan to execute your design concept (maximum 300 words)
Submit a hero image showing the Ambient Mode on the TV in the context of a room that shows the lifestyle the Participant was inspired by
- Submit 3-5 still images of the room with the TV, as well as 3-5 stills of the Ambient Mode Design in different times of the day
- Design as a video file for the Ambient Content Design
- Resolution: 3840 x 2160 or 1920 x 1080
- Container: AVI/MKV/MP4
- Video Codec: H.264 (3840 x 2160) / HEVC (3840 x 2160) / MPEG 4
- Audio Codec: Dolby Digital / AAC / HE-AAC / WMA / MPEG / AC-4
- The competition has €29,500 total prize money.
- The winner will receive €8,000, with €3,000 for the two runners-up, €1,500 for the other seven shortlisted entrants and €1,000 for the five who make it as far as the long list.
- Samsung will have the option to purchase the Top 15 (fifteen) shortlisted entries for an additional 10.000,00 EUR which will be paid to the selected designer.
All entries must be received by 23:59 GMT on 3 August 2018.
- The shortlisted winners will be announced on 13 August 2018 and the finalists will be announced on 30 August 2018.
- The overall winner will be announced on 10 September 2018 on Dezeen.
Questions about the competition should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.