The Detroit Auto Dealers Association has launched the 2022 Courageous Persuaders Video Competition. The competition encourages high school students to create 30-second television commercials on the dangers of underage drinking and texting while driving.
The primary purpose of this competition is to raise awareness and change attitudes about the dangers of underage drinking among high school students. A secondary objective is to expose middle school students to positive role models − high school students taking a stand on this deadly issue.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- You may enter as an individual or as a team.
- All team members listed on the entry form must be a high school student, in grades 9-12 (ages 19 and under) and
- The United States or Canadian citizen attending the United States (or U.S. territories) or Canadian high school.
How to Apply & Competition Rules:
You can mail the entry form and DVD to Courageous Persuaders, 1900 West Big Beaver Road, Suite 100, Troy MI 48084.
The following rules must be followed, or your video will be disqualified
- Their commercial must be 30 seconds long or less, and your message must be about the dangers of underage drinking or the dangers of texting while driving.
- Students can enter separate videos in both categories. Middle School classrooms are your target audience. Videos will be judged on originality, creativity, and persuasiveness.
- More than one commercial may be submitted by one student.
- Should your commercial be selected as a winning entry, please save all original work
- Team members are decided by the team captain. Team members must be listed on the entry form. Should your commercial be selected as a winning entry, the scholarship money would be divided evenly among all team members listed on the entry form.
- A completed Consent Form is required for each individual involved with creating or producing the commercial, including any music and sound effects. This includes all team members, all on-camera actors, and all voice-over announcers, individuals in photographs, music composers, sound effect creators, and musicians who have participated in any way.
- A completed Work Cited page is required and must be completed under an MLA or APA format and submitted with the Consent Form if chosen as a finalist.
- This includes any photographs, researched facts, and statistics. Do not use any family photographs, published photographs, website photographs, or film footage without written permission from the owner or all people in the photograph/film footage.
- This includes footage of school activities and sporting events. Photos that appear on the Internet and in magazines usually have copyrights and cannot be used (all movie, video game, and TV footage is protected, as are news photos and film footage).
- Any video or photographs submitted using images without signed permission of the video or photograph’s owner will be disqualified.
- Commercials must be acceptable for airing by television stations; vulgar language and graphic content are not allowed.
- Commercials that contain dangerous stunts, unsafe driving, vomit or vomiting, or toilet scenes will be disqualified.
- Do not show any company names or logos (i.e., businesses, high schools, universities, cemeteries) trademarks or art, including those on hats, shirts, and other items of clothing.
- Do not include any phone numbers or web site addresses except for CourageousPersuaders.com.
- You may include your name and those of your team in the video as producers of the video if you choose, although it is not necessary.
- You may not use images in your video of tombstones with legible names and dates on them unless you have written permission from the family of the deceased. Permission must be submitted with your entry. You may edit the names and dates by blurring or blacking them out.
- Videos submitted to the Courageous Persuaders® competition will not be returned and may be displayed, duplicated, edited and exhibited for educational or promotional purposes as deemed appropriate by the Detroit Auto Dealers Association Education Foundation, Inc.
- Submission of the video constitutes your approval for such use and exhibition. They suggest you make a duplicate of your commercial in case it is damaged in mailing.
- Any video that glamorizes or encourages drinking will be disqualified.
- Any videos submitted by students will be determined to be ineligible at the sole discretion of Courageous Persuaders®. Any dispute associated with a video submission will be governed in accordance with substitutive and procedural Michigan law.
This completion gave an opportunity to win $3,000.
The application deadline is 5:00 p.m. Friday, February 4, 2022.