- August 16, 2018
- Posted by: Study Help
- Category: International Students, Student Competitions
Nominations are open for the 2019 Commonwealth Young Person of the Year Award sponsored by the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth is a voluntary association of 53 independent and equal sovereign states. Young people aged between 15 to 29 years from Commonwealth member countries are eligible to apply for the awards.
The theme of the Day is ‘Safe Spaces for Youth’. It focuses on protecting young people’s dignity and safety and helping them to make valuable contributions to development work, particularly in relation to the internationally agreed Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Sixteen finalists will be shortlisted from four Commonwealth regional categories: Africa and Europe, Asia, the Caribbean and Canada, and the Pacific. A winner will be selected from each region, and one exceptional entrant will be awarded the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the ca Nominees must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Aged 15 to 29 years (The nominee should not be older than 29 on 31 December 2018)
- The nominee must be a Commonwealth citizen and the development work must be taking place in a Commonwealth member country
- The nominee must have been engaged in development work for more than 12 months, either in a professional or voluntary capacity
- Have a strong track record of implementing innovative ideas and linking their development work and its impact to one of the 17 SDGs
- Have demonstrated an understanding of the importance of youth engagement in key areas of development.
- Entrants can nominate themselves or be nominated by someone who is not a relative and who can testify to their work.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To win the competition, you need to do register through the given link:
- This year’s finalists will receive a trophy, a certificate and cash grants to help them continue their development work.
- All finalists will be awarded £1,000.
- Each selected regional winner will receive an additional £2,000, bringing their total win to £3000, and
- The Commonwealth Young Person of the Year will also receive an additional cash grant of £2,000, bringing her/his total award to £5000.
- There will be four finalists per Commonwealth region with the top entry receiving the Regional Winner Award and the top regional winner receiving the Pan-Commonwealth Award and to be named the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year 2019.
- The 16 Regional finalists will each receive a £1,000 grant, a trophy and a certificate.
- The 4 Regional Winners will receive an additional £2,000 (a total of £3,000) a trophy and a certificate
- The Pan-Commonwealth Winner will receive an additional £2000 (a total of £5,000) a trophy and a certificate.
- The 4 Regional Winners will be invited to receive their awards at an official ceremony in London, the United Kingdom during Commonwealth Week in March 2019.
Entries must be received by 23:59 GMT on 31st October 2018.