The Consultative Group to Assist the Poor (CGAP) is now accepting applications for the 2018 CGAP Photo and Video Contest. This competition is open to all photographers and videographers who are at least 18 years old at the time of application.
For its 13th annual contest, CGAP is looking for striking photographs and short videos that tell the story of how financial services empower poor people and communities in Africa.
This year, CGAP is seeking photos and videos from Africa that reflect the following themes: Reaching excluded people, brighter prospects for young people, digital finance and development.
Who May Eligible:
To apply, applicants must be:
- Must be at least 18 years old
- All photographers and videographers can apply
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an online application form through the given link: http://photocontest.cgap.org/#
- They are looking for original, striking images and video stories portraying the impact of microfinance and financial inclusion for poor people in Africa.
- These images and stories may reflect a range of products and services, people and institutions, and may touch on social, economic, developmental, and technological issues.
- Up to 20 photographs and/or videos may be submitted per person.
- Entries may be entered by uploading digital files.
- The maximum file size for photos is 20 megabytes (MB) and for videos 300 MB.
- Each photo or video submission must be accompanied by:
- Caption: a short description of the activity or situation depicted
- Date the image was taken, the location and country
- Name of the person(s) shown with their permission to use.
- Entries: CGAP requests that the photographer follows the widely recognized standards and ethical guidance for development photography and obtains informed consent whenever reasonably possible from any subjects photographed. Entries must:
- Be the original work of the entrant and shot in the last two years
- Treat all subjects with respect and dignity.
- Respect the rights, sensitivities, and culture of communities and/or persons depicted, including the subject’s right to consent to be photographed.
- Fairly represent the situation, subject’s identity and physical location of the image, without alteration (other than standard photographic techniques for optimization, including removal of dust, cropping, adjustments to color and contrast, etc.)
- File Requirements:
- Digital images or scans of prints may be uploaded. Original files of camera-made digital photos may not exceed 20 megabytes (20 MB), and video files 300 MB.
- CGAP cannot be responsible for lost, damaged, late or misdirected entries, or for faulty uploading connections, garbled transmissions, unauthorized intervention, or technical malfunctions.
- Grand Prize: the US $2,000 gift certificate each for photography or video equipment and accessories. (No cash check or money transfer will be issued.)
- Categories: the US $1,000 gift certificate for photography equipment and accessories:
- Reaching excluded people: Mobile phones open up markets and access to services for people who are isolated or live in remote communities. Show us how digital finance creates new opportunities for excluded Africans.
- Brighter prospects for young people: there are 600 million young people in Africa under the age of 25, and 72 percent of them are unemployed. Show how financial services can spur entrepreneurship among Africa’s youth.
- Digital finance and development: Innovative technologies and finance together offer new solutions for addressing chronic problems such as access to water, energy, and healthcare. Show ways that financial services are helping advance the Sustainable Development Goals in Africa.
All entries must be submitted by 23:59 GMT/18:59 US EST on 14 December 2018.
For questions regarding the 2018 Photo Contest, contact Koi Gouahinga at firstname.lastname@example.org.