The Center for Alcohol Policy is now accepting entries for its 11th Annual National Essay Contest to foster debate, analysis, and examination of state alcohol regulation and its implications for citizens across the United States. The competition is open to all persons who are over the age of 18 as of December 2018.
The topic for this year’s contest is: The licensing of individuals and businesses that are involved in the commerce of alcoholic beverages is an important feature of state-based alcohol regulation. Why is licensing necessary for an orderly marketplace, what impact does it have on public health and safety and what are the benefits provided by licensing systems?
Students, academics, practicing attorneys, policymakers and the general public are encouraged to submit essays. Cash prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place winners in the amount of $5,000, $2,500 and $1,000, respectively.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- The contest is open to all persons who are over the age of 18 as of December 2018.
- Students, academics, practicing attorneys, policymakers and the general public are encouraged to submit essays.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an online application form through the given link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2018AlcoholPolicyEssayContest
- No relatives of individuals working for the Center for Alcohol Policy, its leadership or contest judges are eligible to submit entries for this contest.
- Any interested person working for a government entity must certify their ability to enter and win this contest prior to submitting an essay and comply with appropriate ethics laws.
- For this essay contest, a wide range of essay formats are eligible and encouraged. These can be formal law review article submissions or nonacademic essays.
- Any form of citations is acceptable, as long as the format is consistent throughout the essay.
- The essay should be submitted double-spaced with the at least 12-point font in Times New Roman format and should not exceed 25 pages in length, exclusive of endnotes.
- Submissions that have been published previously or accepted for publication may be considered only if the author has secured consent from the other journal for the Center for Alcohol Policy to post the winning publication on its website with an appropriate note about the other publication.
Cash prizes will be awarded to the first, second and third place winners in the amounts:
- First prize: $5,000,
- Second prize: $2,500
- Third prize: $1,000
Essay submissions must be received by 5:30 p.m. EST on Dec. 7, 2018.
For additional information, contact the Center for Alcohol Policy at firstname.lastname@example.org.