- August 7, 2018
- Posted by: Study Help
- Category: International Students, Student Competitions
To mark its 30th anniversary, Castle Craig Hospital in Scotland is pleased to announce the International Essay Writing Competition. The competition is open to all students studying Medicine, Psychology, Nursing, and Psychotherapy, Social Work or a related discipline.
It is an annual international essay writing competition for students. The award for the 1st prize is £1,000, and there will be up to 5 runner-up prizes of £250. Additional notable submissions will receive a written commendation.
Who May Eligible:
- Students of medicine, psychology, nursing, psychotherapy and social work are eligible to apply.
- Only single author entries can be accepted.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To apply, the applicants must download the application form and submit with Essays as a hard copy by post, or as a Microsoft word document email attachment sent to email@example.com
- Entrants can choose from 3 different essay questions on an aspect of addiction, and essays should be not more than 3000 words. The three essay questions are:
- Is addiction to a drug a brain disease?
- What is the role of psychotherapy in realizing and sustaining recovery from addiction?
- ‘Society holds the solution to addiction because social problems are the main cause.’
- Essays should be academic papers including references and may rely on personal experiences, objective opinions or a general outlook.
- The essay topic must be relying on one of the three essay titles listed on this page.
- The entry must be word processed and well presented.
- Include a separate title page showing the essay title, your name, your university or college, and the full word count.
- All pages of the essay must include the essay title as a header, and the page number as a footer (page numbering to begin on the first page of the essay – not the title page).
- Your name, academic institution or other identifiers should not appear on any page other than the title page, otherwise, the essay will be returned to you for modification.
- All entries must be accompanied by a signed entry form sent by post or electronic form. Essays received without an assigned entry form will be disqualified.
- Submissions by fax will not be accepted.
- E-signature is acceptable, as is a scanned document of the entry form.
- Both the entry form and the essay must reach Castle Craig Hospital by 30th December 2018 – late entries cannot be accepted.
- No allowance will be made for postage or email failure etc.
- They will notify you when they receive your entry.
- Any suspicion of plagiarism will result in immediate disqualification.
- Submissions must be in English.
- Entrants should mention if English is not their native language. Allowances will be made for those submissions.
- Referencing: Harvard style system. In the text, references for papers by more than two authors are given as the first author followed by et al. and the year of publication.
- When more than one reference is mentioned at a time in the text, the references should be listed chronologically.
- In the list of references, the references should be in alphabetical order and entries should be as follows:
- Authors’ names;
- year of publication;
- title of the paper:
- abbreviated journal name;
- volume number;
- First and last page numbers.
- When there are more than seven authors, the first three authors are given, followed by et al.
- The award for the 1st prize is £1,000, and there will be up to 5 runner-up prizes of £250.
- Additional notable submissions will receive a written commendation.
Submissions will be accepted until Midnight on the 30th of December 2018.