California Institute of the Arts is renowned internationally as a game-changer in the education of professional artists. CalArts teaches artists to develop the skills and personal drives to reach their creative potential, question received ideas and expand forms of knowledge and experience in the world.
It offers Bachelor of Fine Arts, Master of Fine Arts, Master of Arts, and Doctor of Musical Arts degrees among six schools: Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music, and Theater. CalArts also offers degree programs in music, art, dance, film and video, animation, theater, puppetry, and writing.
With 24.9% California Institute of the Arts acceptance rate, CalArts a very highly competitive school to get into with a low chance of acceptance for typical applicants. CalArts challenges artists to create work that matters globally to the state of culture today and in the future. CalArts brings out creative talent, unlike any other university, school or conservatory.
What GPA do you need to get into the CalArts?
- The GPA requirement that really matters is the GPA you need for a real chance of getting in.
- California Institute of the Arts did not report their average GPA for incoming students, and we could not calculate an expected average GPA.
- California Institute of the Arts has not reported high school GPA data for its accepted students.
CalArts SAT Score Analysis (New 1600 SAT)
Here’s the breakdown of new SAT scores by section:
How much does it Cost to go to CalArts?
Estimated Cost of Attendance Budget
Room and Board
What majors are the CalArts is known for?
- CalArts today offers more than 70 comprehensive degree programs in the visual, performing, media and literary arts.
- CalArts offers comprehensive degree programs across the full range of the visual, performing, media and literary arts through its six Schools.
- CalArts offers a variety of unique programs at the undergraduate and graduate level within its six world-renowned Schools—Art, Critical Studies, Dance, Film/Video, Music and Theater.
How much is tuition at the CalArts?
2018-19 Tuition and Fees
All figures are for the full, two-semester academic year:
|Graduate, Undergraduate, and DMA||$48,660|
|Tuition – M.A. in Aesthetics and Politics – Residency 1st Year (mandatory 24 units)||$38,960|
|Tuition – M.A. in Aesthetics and Politics – Low-Residency 2nd Year (mandatory 12 units)||$19,480|
Note: This is a two year M.A. program. The costs for the Low-Residency 2nd Year (2018-19) are estimated and are likely to increase between 2-4%.
|Student Activity/Student Life Fee||$116|
Is CalArts a public or private school?
- The uniqueness of the CalArts learning experience comes first and foremost from individualized faculty mentoring.
- Undergraduate core courses are the foundation of BFA studies at CalArts, providing a strong general education and opportunities to deepen every student’s artistic practice.
- The CalArts Library enables students and faculty to develop the skills necessary for creative exploration, critical reflection, and lifelong learning.
- The university offering innovative continuing education art courses designed to meet the needs of both emerging artists and lifelong learners.
- California state law vests the authority of management of California Institute of the Arts in the Institute’s Board of Trustees.