Burroughs Wellcome Fund is pleased to announce Postdoctoral Enrichment Program. The program is open to the applicants who must have no more than 36 months of postdoctoral research experience at the time of application and not be more than 5 years from his/her Ph.D.
Generally, 12 awards will be given for annual promotional activities. This grant is for supplementing the training of Postdoc, whose research activities are already supported. The program offers a total of $60,000 in three years
Who May Eligible:
Applicants for the Postdoctoral Enrichment Award:
- Must have no more than 36 months of postdoctoral research experience (in a research laboratory) at the time of application and not be more than 5 years from his/her Ph.D.
- Must be nominated by a qualified mentor at the degree-granting institution (an institution includes its affiliated graduate and medical schools, hospitals, and research institutions) where the applicant will conduct the postdoctoral/fellowship training.
- Applications must be approved by an official responsible for sponsored programs (generally from the grants office, office of research, or office of sponsored programs) at the degree-granting institution
- Must have secured a postdoctoral position with funding (including support by the mentor’s existing research grants) at a degree-granting institution in the United States or Canada and must begin the postdoctoral position on or by the designated award commencement date
- Must be underrepresented minorities (i.e. American Indian or Alaska Native, Black or African American, Hispanic, or Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander)
- Must be citizens of the United States or Canada (at the time of application)
- Must devote at least 75% of the time to research
- Individualunderrepresented minority postdoctoral fellows conducting biomedical or medical research are eligible to apply
- The program targets postdoctoral fellows with Ph.D.s in the biomedical or medical sciences.
- Applicants with M.D. degrees who have secured a postdoctoral research appointment beyond clinical fellowship will be considered for this program. DDS, DVM, and PharmD candidates may be eligible but should contact BWF prior to applying.
How to Apply & Competition Rules:
To participate in the competition, applicants need to do register through the given link:
- Proposals in health services research or involving large-scale clinical trials are ineligible.
- All communications will be made through email.
- BWF does not provide critiques or written comments of unfunded proposals.
- A complete proposal consists of fields submitted through the online IGAM application plus requested attachments uploaded as PDFs into the grant application system.
- In addition, a confidential letter is requested from the postdoc’s mentor.
- Note that it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the confidential letter is submitted by the deadline due date.
- An application will not be considered complete without this confidential letter from the mentor.
- The proposal includes:
- Applicant Information
- Personal statement and a CV from the applicant
- Lay abstract and project plan
- CV of mentor
- Confidential letter from the mentor
- Budget (template provided) n Signature page (template provided)
- The program provides a total of $60,000 over three years as follows:
- Year one: $20,000 will be granted to support enrichment activities of the postdoctoral fellow ($10,000for research supplies or equipment uniquely required to enhance the postdoctoral fellow’s research and $10,000 for education and training, including for mentors in the research lab where the postdoctoral fellow is assigned.)
- Year two: $20,000 (same allocation as year one)
- Year three: $20,000 will be granted to help the postdoctoral fellow advance research efforts towards the professoriate. The funds must be used to develop independent, innovative areas of research.
The application deadline is January 16, 2019 (4:00 pm ET).