The Berkeley Undergraduate Prize for Design Excellence is an essay contest in three stages open to all current full-time registered students in an undergraduate architecture degree program, undergraduates majoring in architecture, or diploma students in accredited schools of architecture worldwide.
The Berkeley Undergraduate Prize for Design Excellence endowment was established in the Department of Architecture at the University of California, Berkeley College of Environmental Design to promote the investigation of architecture as a social art.
Table of Contents
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- The competition is open to all current full-time registered students in an undergraduate architecture degree program or undergraduates majoring in architecture in accredited schools of architecture worldwide.
- Diploma in Architecture students who have not yet completed their Diploma is also eligible.
- You are still eligible to compete if you were an undergraduate student on September 15, 2018, but graduate before the awards are scheduled to be given.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To apply, the applicants need to do register and complete the information through the given link:
- Write a 500-word proposal for an essay on this year’s Essay Question.
- Provide one photograph each of your chosen projects.
- Submit the essay and photographs online.
- Essays must be submitted in English.
- Team Up
- Two students (maximum) who meet the eligibility requirements above may collaborate as authors.
- An architecture student may team up with another undergraduate in architecture, landscape architecture, urban studies, arts and humanities, the social sciences, or engineering.
- If two students collaborate, then both names must appear on their essay and if awarded a prize, the prize is to be equally shared.
- Photograph Requirement
- You are asked to include digital photographs of your two selected buildings with your essay.
- The photographs should be at a minimum 500 pixels wide, and in .jpg format.
- No more than two photographs will be accepted. You can use a digital camera, a film camera (and scan the printed image), or capture the image on a cell phone.
- The photographs should be as informative as possible in order to enable those reading the essays to determine how well you have described your subject matter.
- The Readers are instructed not to add or detract points from their evaluation because of the quality of the photograph itself.
- To the contrary, one of the primary purposes of the essay format is to test your skill in describing a place or building in words, rather than pictures or drawings.
- As with the Readers, use the photographs to continually review how good a job you have done in describing your selected building(s) or places in words.
- There is a total prize of 25,000USD,
- First prize: Minimum 7,500USD.
The application will close on November 1, 2018.
Are you in need of assistance? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.