The “ASEAN Data Science Explorers” Competition organised by the ASEAN Foundation and SAP Asia Pte Ltd. They invite all ASEAN youths to help shape the future by harnessing data to highlight key issues in ASEAN. Use data analytics to propose solutions that can make a difference to its people.
Join the competition today, if you are an ASEAN National above 16 years of age, and currently studying at a tertiary institution in Southeast Asia. Attractive prizes await!
The competition is designed to promote awareness and enhance the appreciation of an ASEAN Community amongst today’s youths through digital literacy intervention in the form of an analytics competition. Its aims to accelerate the learning curve of students through a national and regional competition using the SAP Analytics Cloud tool.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Nationals of ASEAN member countries (ie. Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam)
- Full-time tertiary students currently pursuing their Diploma or Undergraduate studies in one of the tertiary institutions in Southeast Asia.
- Above the age of 16 as at the start of the Contest Period.
- Participants under the age of 18 must obtain parental consent. The consent form is available upon registration.
- Participants who were not Top 3 finalists from National Finals/Virtual Finals in preceding years.
- Participants who did not represent their country at the Regional Finals in preceding years.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate in this Contest, students must first register their team on the competition through the given link: https://www.aseandse.org/register
- Registration entries must be submitted in English.
- After students register and get access to the SAP Analytics Cloud, they can start working on their storyboards using datasets provided in the competition webpage or other relevant datasets from other reliable sources. The storyboards will be submitted during the submission period.
- There is no limit to the number of participating teams from each university.
- Each team will consist of 2 members from the same university. All Participants must hold a valid passport in the event that they are chosen to travel down to Singapore for the regional competition.
- Each team may submit a maximum of one (1) entry only. This entry will be used to judge for qualifying rounds to finals. No amendment is allowed after the submission has closed.
- The entry must be built by using SAP Analytics Cloud (SAC) exclusively.
- Each team must adhere to the submission guidelines stated.
- Each team may only submit one entry.
- All submitted material must be original and created by team members. Any previously published content used must be properly attributed to the original author.
- Submit your entry based on one of these six categories and come up with practical ideas that can contribute to the achievement of both the ASEAN Economic Community Blueprint 2025 and the ASEAN Socio-Cultural Community Blueprint 2025!
- These six goals are also part of the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Submission Requirement: Storyboard Submission (Download sample of storyboard):
- Visualisations: Min. 5 Charts and Max. 10 Charts
- Storyboard Format:
- Page Limit: 10 including cover page
- Page Size: A3, landscape
- Images : Capped at 2MB each
- Cover page: (1). Title of Submission, (2). Team Name, (3). Institution, (4). Country of Institution, (5). Description of Submission
- Closing page: References
The top team from each country will receive an all-expense paid trip to participate in the ASEAN Face-off in Singapore.
- 1st Prize – Trophy, Prize (worth Eur 800) and an all-expense paid trip to attend the ASEAN Face-Off in Singapore.
- 2nd Prize – Trophy and Prize (worth Eur 400)
- 3rd Prize – Trophy and Prize (worth Eur 200)
- 1st Prize – Trophy and Prize (worth Eur 1,800)
- 2nd Prize – Trophy and Prize (worth Eur 1,200)
- 3rd Prize – Trophy and Prize (worth Eur 600)
ASEAN Data Science Explorers Competition Registration will close on 23 May 2018, 23:59 (GMT).
For administrative questions, email aseandse[at]aseanfoundation.org.