Applications are invited for the ASC Leiden Visiting Fellowship Program organized by the African Studies Centre. The fellowship is available for the applicants who must hold a Ph.D. degree, by the time of applying.
Visiting research fellows use their time in Leiden for data analysis and/or writing, often on a joint project with one or more ASCL staff members and with Africanists at other institutes or faculties of Leiden University. A visiting research fellowship is for a maximum of 90 days.
Table of Contents
Who May Eligible:
In order to be eligible for a Leiden ASA 90-day Visiting Research Fellowship, the applicant has to fulfill all of the following criteria.
- He or she must:
- Hold a Ph.D. degree, by the time of applying
- Have conducted research, as part of the Ph.D. and/or in later projects, with a focus on Africa
- Be actively pursuing an academic/research career
- Have published books, book chapters and/or journal articles in recent years that meet international standards
- Propose a research project for the fellowship that is likely to contribute to interfaculty collaboration at Leiden University; as shown in statements of collaboration (enclosed with the application) from one African Studies Centre Leiden scholar and (at least) one other Leiden University scholar
- In accordance with visa regulations, be ready to return to the country of which he/she is a citizen and/or a current resident upon completion of the fellowship.
- In the assessment of applications that meet these requirements
- Preference will be given to applicants based in Africa. ‘Africa’ here refers to the member states of the African Union. ‘Based in’ Africa is understood to mean having lived in Africa during at least two of the last four years
- Emphasis will be placed on the quality, intended outputs and feasibility of the research project proposed for the fellowship.
How to Apply & Competition Rules:
To apply, the applicants must download the application form and return it together with all required documents to LeidenASA@asc.leidenuniv.nl
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- Applications must be submitted in English or French.
- However, Visiting Research Fellows may pursue their research in any language(s) of their choice, in agreement with their ASCL/Leiden University counterparts.
- For Francophone applicants, be informed that French is not commonly spoken in the Netherlands.
- Send the complete application in one email with the following documents:
- your updated list of publications
- a digital copy of two international publications, preferably journal articles
- two recent letters of recommendation
- a statement from an ASCL researcher stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you
- A statement from a Leiden University researcher (not ASCL) stating his/her willingness to collaborate with you.
A research fellowship includes:
- A return ticket (economy class).
- A daily stipend to cover living expenses.
- Accommodation in Leiden: a fellow is provided with his/her own bed/sitting room (suitable for one person only). Kitchen and bathroom are to be shared with a maximum of two other fellows (male/female).
- If the offered accommodation is unacceptable for the fellow he/she is requested to look for alternative accommodation him/herself. Alternative accommodation will not be paid for by the fellowship.
- A medical/liability insurance (please note that this insurance does not cover the cost of treatment of a pre-existing medical condition).
- The use of (shared) office facilities and of library facilities.
The deadline for applications is December 7, 2018.