The Town of Morrisville’s Environment & Stormwater Committee (MESC) is happy to announce that they are sponsoring the 16th annual student art poster contest for Morrisville students and members of Morrisville youth organizations in grades K-5. Participants are asked to submit original artwork in support of the environment and sustainability. This year’s poster theme is: “Do Something Drastic, Cut the Plastic!” Single-use plastics or ‘SUPs’ are typically used only once before they are thrown away or recycled. These items are things like retail plastic bags, straws, coffee stirrers, soda/water bottles, and most food packaging. We produce hundreds of millions of tons of plastic every year, most of which cannot be recycled. Therefore, to be better stewards of our environment, we should aim for the 4 R’s: Refuse, Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Through the following contest, MESC wants candidates to illustrate ways through their art that we can effectively as individuals and families, reduce our overall single-use plastic waste and ‘Do Something Drastic, Cut the Plastic!’ The grand prize winner of the following contest will have a banner created from their poster which will be prominently displayed along Town Hall Drive. They will also receive passes for a family of 4 to visit the Triangle Rock Gym. Also, first, second, and third place winners in each grade will each receive a certificate and letter from the Town’s mayor. Contest submissions are due at Town Hall by 5 pm on Friday, October 8, 2021.
Morrisville is one of the fastest-growing and most diverse towns in North Carolina, located adjacent to North Carolina’s Research Triangle Park. The town’s economy is based on highly skilled professional and technology industries, and a population that is diverse, affluent, and highly educated. The idea of living connected and living well guides the town’s decision-making processes in all areas and has been the catalyst for infrastructure improvements including roadways, greenways, and recreational facilities.
Following is the brief description of the following scholarship:
|Education Level||Grade k-5|
|Number of Awards||Varies|
|Contest Deadline||October 8, 2021|
|Application Fees||Not required|
Who is Eligible?
Following are the eligibility requirements for the following scholarship contest:
- Children must attend a school in Morrisville and/or be part of a Morrisville youth organization.
- The eligible grade groups are Kindergarten, First Grade, Second Grade, Third Grade, Fourth Grade, and Fifth Grade.
How to Apply?
The interested individuals are required to fill out the application form provided on the scholarship portal and submit their artworks following the given instructions:
- Posters created by students must be their own original artwork.
- Posters must be submitted on paper or poster board and must be 11” x 17” and the layout must be portrait only. The landscape will not work on the banner. Original artwork may be returned upon request.
- No copyrighted characters or magazine names may be used.
- Any media except pencil is acceptable (crayon, marker, paint, ink. etc.).
- Do not use plastic sticker letters.
- Do not glue or tape objects on posters (often such objects are lost during handling).
- Each student may only submit one entry.
- Entry forms must be firmly affixed to the back of the posters and information should be facing out so that it can be read.
- The theme must be displayed somewhere on the poster.
- We ask that there be minimal to no assistance from parents
The grand prize winner will have a banner created from their poster which will be prominently displayed along Town Hall Drive. They will also receive passes for a family of 4 to visit the Triangle Rock Gym.
First, second, and third place winners in each grade will each receive a certificate and letter from the Town’s mayor.
The deadline for the application submission for the following contest is October 8, 2021. No applications will be considered after this date.