- June 11, 2018
- Posted by: Study Help
- Category: Student Competitions
To support scientific research that improves their understanding of climate change-related risks, Allianz is delighted to announce the Allianz Climate Risk Research Award. The 2018 Award focuses on the topic “Climate risk: real-time information and new technologies.”
The award is open to current Ph.D. student or postdoctoral researcher who are in the final stage of their research and recent Ph.D. graduates and postdoctoral graduates who have recently finished their research.
This Award is intended to support researchers whose research focuses on: Reducing the risk of extreme weather events that are intensified by climate change, Fostering resilience by applying technological solutions.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Individual applications from the fields of natural sciences as well as economic and social sciences.
- Research applicable to focus and the topic of Award
- You are an individual author
- You submit only one research
- You are a PhD student or postdoctoral researcher (recent Ph.D. graduates and postdoctoral graduates can also apply if the defense of final research to obtain title is not more than two years at the time of the application).
- Ph.D. students who are in the final stage of their research and postdoctoral researchers who have recently finished their research are invited to apply.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To apply, the applicants must download the application form and submit together with supporting documents to email@example.com
Allianz is looking for research projects that work-on or build the basis for innovative solutions such as:
- Using social media or drones to deliver information on the extent and impact of flood or hail events
- Improving predicting capabilities for flash floods and heavy precipitation events
- Assessing the risks of droughts through satellite monitoring technology
- Understanding how new technologies can change early warning systems and their effectiveness for society
- Understanding decision-making processes around climate adaptation and resilience on the household, local and international level
Supporting documents consist of:
- Research summary: attach a non-technical essay in not more than 1500 words. The essay must be based on your own research and under your own name.
- A letter of recommendation from the candidate’s academic mentor: your academic mentor e.g. University Professor, Ph.D. supervisor. The letter should include: an overview of your qualifications as a researcher, a description of your role in the research submitted, highlighting specifically your contribution to the research included in the application
- Filled and signed declaration form (download here)
- Innovation: Research project is focused on a compelling approach for assessing risks of natural catastrophes and on how new technologies can help mitigate these risks and foster resilient societies
- Impact: Research project can make a difference in the current insurance practice and/or advance current practices around societal resilience
- Applicability: Research project addresses a relevant problem and is ideally connected to a practical solution
- Academic excellence: Sound research approach and methodology
- Monetary award:
- EUR 7.000 First finalist
- EUR 5.000 Second finalist
- EUR 3.000 Third finalist
- EUR 2.000 Fourth finalist
- Allianz Re will cover all travel costs
- Invitation for a one-day Award event in Munich with all costs covered
- Exposure of the finalists’ research projects on the website com
- Exclusive insights into the insurance industry’s work on climate change and extreme weather events.
- Participation in a discussion round with the Award’s jury, experts and other guests from Allianz Group and academia.
- Four finalists will receive a monetary award and will be invited to an Award ceremony at Allianz Headquarters in Munich in November 2018 to present their findings and take part in an interactive discussion with renown experts from both industry and academia.
- In addition, Allianz will publish the ten best essays submitted as part of the application in a compendium.
- Eagerness to be part of internal and external communication around the Award (e.g. interviews)
The submission deadline is July 1, 2018.
If you have any questions regarding your application, send an e-mail to research-award@Allianz.com