Building Trust International is pleased to announce their 8th design competition entitled as ‘Affordable Housing Design Challenge’. The competition is open to design professionals, engineers, architects, architecture/ design/ engineer graduates or architecture/design/engineer students.
This is an open International competition hosted by Building Trust International with UNDP (United Nations Development Program) to help the people who work in PPSEZ (Phnom Penh Special Economic Zone) while generating progressive contemporary design ideas.
The aim of this competition is to design modern, affordable homes for the workers in and nearby PPSEZ. The winning team will not only have their design constructed but will also receive a US$20,000 cash prize fund with 4 honorable mentions receiving US$5000 each.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Design professionals, Engineers, Architects, architecture/design/engineer graduates or architecture/ design/ engineer students are eligible to participate.
- Submissions can be the work of an individual or a group.
- There is no age limit. However, entrants under 18 years of age must be led or entered by someone over 18 years of age.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must register online at the website or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with:
- Your name (and team members)
- Office name if entering as an office
- Submission of entries must be in an A2 format with all images at 300dpi and a maximum of four (4) pages sent to email@example.com Subject of email: Subject of the email must be your unique registration number.
- Presentation panels: you can use up to 4 sheets at A2 format these should be horizontal (landscape) and can run together or stand alone as separate sheets.
- Dimensions: (1 A2 board = 594x420mm) x 4 File Name: The zipped image file name must correspond to your unique registration number. (Example: A3333.pdf where A3333 represents your unique registration number assigned and sent to you by Building Trust after a successful registration).
- Text file: Any text contained on the boards should also be sent as a separate text file in word format.
- The present technique is open and at the discretion of the entrant. However, it is recommended that your submission includes the following information which reflects the main concept of the design:
- Sketches, perspectives or renders representing your design in use
- Master Plan (arrangement of units/ streets, open space, and services.)
- Standard Unit Plans (single bedroom, family house units) and floor plans
- Any additional diagrams showing how elements are organized or materiality.
- The presentation should clearly document the proposed design as well as the approach to the project. Ideas regarding the organization, disaster and risk mitigation, materials, treatment of the location and the design should be included when considered relevant. This will be used to make rough cost estimates and test the ‘buildability’ of any winning design chosen.
- The total area of the project should be included in a part of the image. Any other textual or numerical description should be expressed in English only and it should be incorporated into the graphical presentation of the project. Entrant’s unique registration number should appear on the upper right side of the image.
- Do not place your name or company name on any of the competition panels.
- 1st prize: US$20,000
- 2nd- 5th prize honorable mentions: US$5,000 each.
- 1st Prize will be published in any subsequent magazine press as well as on the websites of UNDP, PPSEZ and Building Trust International.
- The winning team is expected to remain involved with the detailed design before the projects go out to tender.
The application deadline is August 1, 2018, at midnight (11:59 pm-00:00 GMT).