The International Relations Committee of the American College of Surgeons (ACS) is pleased to announce Community Surgeons Travel Awards. These awards are open for international surgeons who aged 30 to 50 of years.
The American College of Surgeons is proposed to specifically assist surgeons who work in the community or regional hospitals or clinics in countries other than the United States and Canada, or who are from poorly resourced academic departments of surgery in poorly resourced countries.
Each awardee will receive gratis registration to the annual Clinical Congress and to one available postgraduate course held during the Clinical Congress. Assistance will be provided to obtain preferential housing in an economical hotel in the Clinical Congress city.
Who May Eligible:
To eligible, the candidates must be following all the eligibility criteria:
- Applicants must be graduates of schools of medicine who have completed their surgical training.
- Applicants must be at least 30 years old, but under 50, on the date that the complete application is filed.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have not already experienced training or surgical fellowships in the U.S. or Canada.
How to Apply & Competitions Rules:
To participate, the applicants must submit an application online form through the given link: http://web2.facs.org/scholarshipsinternational/
- Applicants must submit their applications from their intended permanent location. Applications will be accepted for processing only when the applicants have been in surgical practice, teaching, or research for a minimum of one year at their intended permanent location, following completion of all formal training (including fellowships and scholarships).
- Applicants must show evidence of commitment to high-quality surgery, to surgical teaching, and to improving access to surgical care in their community.
- Applicants must submit a fully completed application form provided by the College on its website. The application and accompanying materials must be submitted in English. Submission of curriculum vitae only is not acceptable.
- Applicants must submit independently prepared letters of recommendation from three (3) of their colleagues.
- One letter must be from the chair of the department in which they hold a clinical or academic appointment or from a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons residing in their country.
- The chair’s or the Fellow’s letter is to directly address the applicant’s commitment to high-quality surgery, surgical teaching, and improving access to surgical care locally.
- Letters of recommendation should be submitted by the persons making the recommendations.
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply only twice and only by completing and submitting a new application together with new supporting documentation.
- Each awardee will receive gratis registration to the annual Clinical Congress and to one available postgraduate course held during the Clinical Congress.
- Assistance will be provided to obtain preferential housing in an economical hotel in the Clinical Congress city. In 2019, the Clinical Congress takes place in San Francisco, CA, October 27–31.
- These awards, in the amount of $4,000 each, provide international surgeons with the opportunity to attend and participate fully in the educational activities of the ACS annual Clinical Congress.
The application deadline is July 2, 2018.
Questions about and application materials for this award should be sent to email@example.com.