The ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship helps chemistry professionals pursue a master’s degree in education or chemistry teacher certification. Scholarship awardees get stipends (up to $6,000 for full-time study and $3,000 for part-time study) toward the completion of a master’s degree in teaching or certification in secondary chemistry or science. Throughout their three-year teaching commitment, it supports and mentors them.
One of the ACS-Hach Programs is the ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship. Scholarship stipends are provided in equal increments twice every academic year due to scholarship restrictions. If scholars finish their program by the Fall term, they may receive half of their whole award.
It is one of the world’s greatest scientific organizations, with more than 155,000 members in 150 countries, and was formed in 1876 and chartered by the United States Congress. The aim is to promote chemistry as a whole and its practitioners for the benefit of the planet and its people. The goal is to enhance people’s lives by using chemistry’s transformative potential.
Below is a brief description of the scholarship given:
|Number of Awards||Varies|
|Application Deadline||May 1, 2021|
|Application Fee||Not required|
Who is Eligible?
Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree or higher in chemistry or a related field to be considered. Candidates must have at least one year of experience working in a chemistry-related field. It cannot have worked as a high school chemistry instructor for more than one year. The candidates must be enrolled in a master’s degree program in education or a teacher certification program. You must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
In the eligible chemistry-related disciplines, the sections follow:
- Agricultural Chemistry
- Ceramic Science/ Chemistry/Technology
- Chemical Engineering
- Chemical Technology
- Environmental Science/Engineering (must be chemistry-based)
- Forensic Science/Chemistry
- Food Science (not Nutrition)
- Industrial Chemistry
- Materials Science or Petroleum Engineering
- Nanotechnology or Nanoscience
- Paper and Pulp Technology
How to Apply?
Make a user account. You can change your application at any moment prior to submission and check the status of your application after it has been submitted using your account. Because your e-mail address will be used as the account’s username, select your most preferred e-mail address. “Apply” should be selected. To apply for the 2020 ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship, go to the “2020 ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship.” Fill in the blanks on the Letter of Intent (LOI). The goal of this letter of intent is to ensure that you submit the application that best suits your needs. The information you supply will be scrutinized by ACS personnel. You will receive the application form for which you are qualified after you have been authorized. Allow for a one-business-day evaluation and notice period.
The contact information you prefer when two email addresses are necessary; the primary address will serve as your online account’s default means of communication and username.
One-page resume or curriculum vitae Your educational and professional experiences in the chemical sectors should be highlighted in your resume or CV.
Transcripts from any institutions where you earned a degree or certification should be submitted. One transcript containing the transferred credits or courses is permitted if you transfer while pursuing a degree or certification.
The organization can learn more about you as a candidate by reading your narrative. The following four sections make up the narrative:
- Why Teach Chemistry? Describe why you want to teach chemistry. Please limit your answer to 1750 characters (approximately 250 words).
- Personal Experience: Describe how your personal experiences, formal or informal, prepared you to pursue a career in teaching. Please limit your answer to 1750 characters (approximately 250 words).
- Professional Experience: Describe how your professional qualifications will prepare you to pursue a career in teaching. Please limit your answer to 1750 characters (approximately 250 words).
- Why This Scholarship? Describe how the ACS-Hach Second Career Teacher Scholarship will contribute to your career development. Please limit your answer to 1750 characters (approximately 250 words).
The scholarship is renewable for up to three years and can be used for tuition, books, room & board, and other education-related expenditures.
The last date of the application is on May 1, 2021, and late submission of the application is not acceptable.